BREAST REDUCTION (REDUCTION MAMMAPLASTY)
A breast reduction is a procedure that decreases the size and weight of the breasts. Typically, women with disproportionately large breasts can experience physical discomfort in their neck, back, or shoulders; skin irritation under the breasts; and a hindered active lifestyle. Undergoing a breast reduction helps alleviate any discomfort which may be caused by the heaviness or size of the breasts. Removing excess fat, tissue, and skin allows the breasts to be reshaped and become lighter.
Breast Reduction Benefits
- The size and shape of the breasts are changed, which can improve symmetry.
- Stretched areolas are downsized.
- The breasts become lighter and perkier giving them a more youthful appearance.
- Increased ability for physical activity such as cardio and other vigorous activities.
What to Expect
During a consultation, board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Kristi Hustak will evaluate the patient’s breasts and ask a series of questions to better understand the patient’s wants and needs. After carefully listening to the patient’s goal(s), Dr. Hustak will design a personalized plan best suited to help the patient achieve her desired goal(s).
A breast reduction is an outpatient procedure performed under general anesthetics. Depending on the type of breast lift There are various techniques used to perform a breast reduction.
- Vertical Breast Reduction: Vertical breast reductions, aka “Lollipop” reduction, is performed on patients with droopy breasts but are of moderate size and only require two incisions. The first incision outlines the areola while the second incision starts at the bottom of the areola and continues vertically down to the crease beneath the breast. These incisions allow Dr. Hustak to remove fat, tissue, and skin making the breasts lighter and giving them a more youthful appearance.
- Inverted-T Breast Reduction: Also known as “Anchor,” this technique is performed on patients whose breast size and droopiness are significant. Three incisions are made; the first is around the areola, the second is from the areola vertically down to the crease, and the third incision is in the crease under the breast. These 3 incisions allow Dr. Hustak to remove more tissue, lift the breast, and correct asymmetry by reshaping the breast.
After the procedure, the patient will be wrapped in bandages to help support the breasts as well as to help keep swelling and bruising to a minimum. The swelling and bruising will subside after a few weeks and prineo (surgical tape) is removed in three weeks. Once the bandages are removed a sports bra, provided by Dr. Hustak, will be worn to help position the breasts. Patients are able to return to work after 1-2 weeks and are able to resume light physical activity after 3-4 weeks.
Liposuction: Removes unwanted fat, contours the body, and enhances the results. Liposuction is a great adjunct for the bra line and armpit areas. Learn more >
Tummy Tuck: Removes excess fat and skin around the abdomen and tightens the abdominal wall giving patients a smoother and more toned tummy. Learn more >
Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL): Enhances the size and shape of the buttocks by gathering the fat from the patient’s liposuction and transferring the fat back into the buttocks. Learn more >
Breast Reduction FAQs
Will I have scars?
Yes, but the scarring will significantly fade within the first year and continue to fade over time. The scars are also easily hidden with clothing, even in a bikini.
Can I receive a Breast Lift with my Breast Reduction?
Breast reductions and breast lifts go hand in hand. The only difference between a lift and a reduction is breast reduction removes excess fat and lifts while a breast lift only lifts the skin.
Can I choose what cup size I would like to reduce my breast size to?
During a consultation, Dr. Hustak will discuss the ideal goal the patient would like to achieve. Together, Dr. Hustak and the patient will decide an optimal cup size they both feel would be best to achieve the patient’s desired goals and appearance.