Questions to Ask Before Ear SurgeryPosted on August 15, 2019
When a person is considering a plastic surgery procedure such as ear reshaping surgery (otoplasty), they should initially focus on understanding the ear surgery procedure to make a judicious decision.
During the pre-operative consultation, the patient should unhesitatingly ask questions and clear their doubts or concerns. Ideally, they should prepare a list of questions that they want to ask and take this list to the surgeon’s office.
A committed surgeon will answer all the patient’s questions in an in-depth manner as well as explain the benefits and limitations of the surgery in easy-to-understand language.
Board certified female plastic surgeon Dr. Kristi Hustak provides ear reshaping surgery to patients in Houston, Texas, and surrounding communities.
Vital Questions to Ask
- Am I a suitable candidate for otoplasty?
- What surgical technique would you recommend for my ear reshaping procedure?
- Will you use general anesthesia or local anesthesia for my procedure?
- Where will you place the incisions, and will it lead to any scarring in the future?
- Do I need to undertake anything to prepare for the plastic surgery?
- Is the post-operative recovery going to be prolonged and painful?
- Are there any risks or complications associated with otoplasty?
- Can I view ear reshaping before and after images?
- In the event of an emergency, is your practice equipped to deal with it?
- After the procedure is complete, is it possible to change the ear appearance again in the future?
What preparation is necessary from my end for ear reshaping surgery?
The surgeon will provide the patient with thorough preparatory guidelines after establishing them as a candidate for otoplasty. The patient will have to follow some simple do’s and don’ts, such as discontinuing smoking for a specified period and avoiding certain drugs for a few days.
How noticeable will be the scarring after ear surgery?
The surgeon will place the incisions in discreet locations, such as the back of the ear where it attaches to the head, or inside the ear’s inner folds.
This will create minimal noticeable scarring. However, the level of scarring can differ between patients based on the extent of the cosmetic surgery involved.
How will the ear reshaping procedure be performed?
In case the patient is a child, the ear cartilage will be soft. Therefore, the surgeon may use splints to develop the new ear shape. An adult’s cartilage, on the other hand, is hard. For this reason, the otoplasty procedure may involve the removal or repositioning of the cartilage after placing a tiny incision in the ear.
What can I expect on the day of the surgery?
In general, otoplasty will be undertaken as an outpatient procedure. The patient should ask someone responsible to drive them back home after the surgery.
The procedure typically takes one to two hours to complete. Female cosmetic surgeon Dr. Kristi Hustak receives patients from Houston, Texas, and nearby areas for ear reshaping surgery.
For more information on procedures and treatments provided by board-certified female plastic surgeon Dr. Kristi Hustak please call us to schedule a consultation at 713.322.7265 or click here. Offices in Houston, Texas.