Going ahead with breast reconstruction plastic surgery is a life-changing decision. The patient should decide to proceed with this procedure only after considering all facets of the surgery and clarifying all her concerns from the surgeon.
During the pre-operative consultation, the patient will have an opportunity to ask all the questions from the surgeon. Board certified female plastic surgeon Dr. Kristi Hustak provides breast reconstruction patients in Houston, Texas, and surrounding locations.
List of Questions
The patient should ideally enlist any questions that she may have about the procedure or the surgeon’s background beforehand to ensure that no important questions are missed out. The surgeon will offer the patient accurate and in-depth answers to the questions to enable her to make an informed choice.
- Do you have a board certification from the ABPS in plastic surgery?
- What number of years of training and experience do you have in the area of cosmetic surgery?
- Have you undertaken breast surgeries in the past?
- What breast reconstruction surgery technique would you recommend in my case?
- How much time will I need to dedicate for the complete process of reconstruction?
- How long will it take to complete the reconstruction surgery inside the operating room?
- Which surgical venue would the reconstruction procedure take place in?
- Am I a stellar candidate for breast reconstruction?
- Are the outcomes that I am expecting realistic?
- Can you showcase breast reconstruction ‘before and after’ images?
- What will the location of the surgical scars be?
- What anesthesia type would you use for this procedure?
- What type of lifestyle changes and preparation will I have to undertake prior to the surgery?
- What will be the post-operative downtime and how many days of leave will I require from my workplace?
- What are the potential risks and complications associated with breast reconstruction surgery?
- If the results of my procedure are not as planned, what will be my options for revision surgery?
- What are the costs involved in breast reconstruction, including the pre and post-op expenses?
- Will your office be able to provide me with guidance or assistance regarding my medical insurance claim?
- Can I review a few testimonials of previous patients to understand their experience with your practice?
Question about the Technique
The patient should understand the surgeon’s recommendations for the breast reconstruction technique. Breast implants, as well as flap reconstruction, have specific advantages and limitations. In case the patient is not clear on the techniques, they should ask questions and get clarity from the breast surgeon.
Question about Tissue Expander
If the patient does not have sufficient skin in the breast area to offer support to the implant, the surgeon may recommend a tissue expander technique to support the implant. The patient should understand if a tissue expander will be necessary or not in her case, and determine her comfort level with the surgeon’s recommended plan.
The patient should arrive at a final decision only after she is fully satisfied with the surgeon’s responses to her questions. She may make a list of the questions beforehand and carry this list to the pre-operative consultation with the surgeon. This will ensure that no vital questions are missed out.
The surgeon may say some things that are surprising which can cause you to lose focus. This is why it’s just astute to have the main questions written down so no matter which direction the conversation goes you will always know what questions you need to propose during this crucial meeting.
Female cosmetic surgeon Dr. Kristi Hustak receives patients from Houston, Texas, and nearby areas for breast reconstruction.
For more information on procedures and treatments provided by board-certified female plastic surgeon Dr. Kristi Hustak please call us to schedule a consultation at 713.354.5145 or click here. Offices in Houston, Texas.