Preparing For Breast ReductionPosted on April 15, 2018
Preparing For Breast Reductio
Pre-operative preparation is vital to the success of a major cosmetic surgery procedure such as breast reduction. The surgeon will provide the patient with detailed preparatory guidelines, address any questions and concerns, understand their health history, and conduct a physical exam to establish the patient’s candidacy for the surgery.
Once the patient’s candidacy is cleared, a surgery date will be scheduled and the pre-op preparations can begin. Board certified female plastic surgeon Dr. Kristi Hustak provides breast reduction surgery to patients in Houston, Texas, and surrounding locations in the fantastic Lone Star State.
Key Steps in Preparation
The surgeon may require the patient to have an electrocardiogram and chest x-ray. If the patient is over 40 years of age, she may also have to take a mammogram. If the surgeon suggests a certain body weight level or lifestyle modification, the patient should follow these recommendations for ideal outcomes and reduce the risk of complications.
Before the breast reduction plastic surgery procedure, the surgeon may ask the patient to:
- Quit smoking for at least six weeks before the surgery to enhance the healing process.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medications, herbal supplements, and aspirin that can lead to an increase in bleeding.
- Ensure proper hydration as hydration is vital to any surgical procedure and subsequent recovery period.
- Consume limited amounts of alcohol as well as entirely avoid consumption for a minimum of 48 hours before the procedure.
- Follow a balanced diet, and choose low sodium and high protein foods, fresh vegetables and fruits, and beverages with no caffeine. The patient should also avoid food and drinks that contain high amounts of salt during the healing period.
- Create a fail-proof support system for the early recovery period. This is a vital aspect of the healing process. If the patient has children below 5 years of age, they should enlist someone to help for the first few days. Lifting, driving, doing laundry or other household chores should not be undertaken during the recovery period.
- Refrain from using hot tubs, saunas, or taking hot showers for the initial week.
- Choose comfortable, loose fitting clothing for the initial recovery period. Tops that are front-open are ideal along with slip-on sandals or slippers.
- Arrange for someone to drive the patient home after the procedure and preferably have someone stay with her for at least one night after the breast reduction procedure. This will be necessary as breast reduction is typically an outpatient procedure.
Day of the Breast Reduction Surgery
On the day of the breast reduction surgery the patient:
- May need to wash their body with antibacterial soap before the procedure.
- Will be asked to avoid wearing lotions, cosmetics including nail paints, cosmetics, perfumes, and other products.
- Should bring or dress in comfortable, soft clothing that they can wear post-surgery. This should include a front-open top and slip-on shoes.
The patient should carry only essential items such as insurance card, ID, cell phone, etc. She should leave any other personal items such as jewelry at home. Committed female cosmetic surgeon Dr. Kristi Hustak receives patients from Houston, Texas and other suburbs and neighborhoods in this region of the country for breast reduction surgery.
For more information on procedures and treatments provided by board certified female plastic surgeon Dr. Kristi Hustak please call us to schedule a consultation at 713.322.7265 or click here. Offices in Houston, Texas.