Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Skin can gradually become loose or inelastic because of major weight loss, pregnancy, or simply aging factors. Sometimes the excess skin may tend to hang off the body, creating a deflated appearance. The large folds of loose skin can even cause discomfort, chafing, irritation, and infections. Skin removal surgery is a safe and proven cosmetic surgery to correct this condition.
Board certified female plastic surgeon Dr. Kristi Hustak provides skin removal surgery to patients in Houston, Texas, and surrounding communities.
Types of Skin Removal Procedures
Depending on the location and the extent of your excess skin appearance, your surgeon may recommend the appropriate skin removal surgery procedure. Some of the common procedures include:
- Body Contouring – It involves the removal of excess fat deposits and loose skin, and shaping of the underlying tissue to create youthful contours following a major weight loss.
- Tummy Tuck – Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck plastic surgery involves the removal of excess skin around the waist and abdominal area. It may also include repairing of weak or separated abdominal muscles.
- Mommy Makeover – This is a major procedure that combines different types of cosmetic surgeries to restore a pre-pregnancy figure. Skin removal surgery is often a key part of a mommy makeover.
- Body Lift – Lower or upper body lift or a full body lift surgery may be performed to eliminate large amounts of excess skin from areas such as the abdomen, flanks, buttocks, thighs, and upper arms.
Who is a Suitable Candidate?
- Individuals who are unhappy with the long-term effect of major weight fluctuations on their skin
- People whose body weight has stabilized following a major weight loss
- The excess skin is too inelastic to improve with diet and exercise
- People who are non-smokers or are ready to quit smoking for a certain minimum period
Who is Not a Suitable Candidate?
- Individuals whose body weight has not stabilized
- Women who are planning a pregnancy in near future
- Women who have recently given birth or are nursing
- People with an underlying health condition that poses surgical risk
Steps in the Skin Removal Surgery Procedure
The plastic surgery procedure to eliminate excess skin can vary depending on the custom surgical plan for a particular patient. In general, the skin removal surgery procedure will include the following steps:
- General anesthesia is administered
- Incisions are placed in discreet locations
- Surgeon removes the excess skin through the incisions
- Remaining skin is shaped, tightened, and re-draped smoothly to create firm and youthful contours
- Closure of incisions with dissolvable sutures
- Incisions are covered with dressings and temporary drains are placed
Results and Recovery
Skin removal surgery results will become visible over several weeks and months as the swelling and bruising completely resolves and the new contours acquire their shape. The outcomes can be dramatically appealing, and the surgery can make you appear more attractive and youthful.
You can return to your normal routine in about 10 to 14 days after the surgery. Female cosmetic surgeon Dr. Kristi Hustak receives patients from Houston, Texas, and nearby areas for skin removal surgery.
Contact Houston, Texas Plastic Surgeon Dr. Kristi Hustak:
For more information on procedures and treatments provided by board-certified female plastic surgeon Dr. Kristi Hustak please call us to schedule a consultation at 713.354.5145 or click here. Offices in Houston, Texas.
Serving The Woodlands, Sugar Land, Katy, Friendswood, Pearland, League City, Richmond, Spring, Humble, Kingwood, Stafford, Cypress, Fulshear, Missouri City, River Oaks, Piney Point, Hunters Creek, Memorial Close In, Bunker Hill, Southside Place, Afton Oaks, Tanglewood, Crestwoods and all other surrounding Greater Houston, Texas communities and more.